The Merrill's

Friday, September 7, 2012

Strength in Category

So as most of you know I had knee surgery at the end of March. Talk about a humbling experience.

Guess what though? The humbling doesn't stop there. 
I'm an exercise science major and one of my required classes is a 'Dynamic Fitness' class. Basically it's this uber neat class where I attend a lecture once a week, and three times a week we do a group work out and record our heart rate, food entries, and monitor our fitness level. 

Today the workout was a 2 mile run. 

Am I alive?? ummm, barely. 
The thought that first flashed across my mind when she uttered the words 'run' was that of "oh. well shiz." Then, as she proceeded to tell us that it was a 2 mile run, up a montrosity of a hill (if you haven't seen the hills in Logan, picture Dr. Suess's "Oh The Places You'll Go" front cover) was;
"There is no way I can do this".

Not to mention I had to make up a day last night and drug two of my good friends with me. I could only do half the time they did in class, and I still felt like my lungs were bleeding and me knee was going to split into two. 

So in short-I was scared. 
We started our run and of course I slowly fell behind. Really behind. We're talking the last one in. 

Then-it was up the dreaded hill. All I could think about was how mad I was at  myself for letting my body fall behind everyone else. 
My heart and my lungs were ready to go, but my legs and my body were telling me a completely different story. I was SO frustrated. My mind kept yelling at my legs to "Go, GO!" 

Guess what? They weren't listening. 
I started saying prayer after prayer to help me catch up to everyone else, to please allow my legs to carry me through the run without stopping, and letting everyone else see how weak I was. 

It wasn't until mile two when that humbleness sank in once again.
 I realized that my heart and my lungs were willing-That in my mind I was completely in shape to finish this run. However, my body just wasn't strong enough, and that I had to do what I could, and realize that my legs would catch up to my heart with due time and proper healing.

This got me to thinking. Isn't this how it is in almost every life situation? Sometimes our heart is in the right place and we're ready to go and take on a huge challenge or trial, but physically- we just can't. 
Or on the other hand, our legs are ready to run! They want to take it on head strong, but our heart is just too wary. 

It's important to have all of our health triangle up to par, however-life isn't picture perfect and sometimes we're going to do better at one category than another. 
And do you know what? 

It's OKAY. 
It's part of the plan to fail. Just like it's part of the plan to succeed.
The Lord is very aware of us and aware of our strengths and weaknesses. 

And sometimes it's only through him that we can make it through those last few paces, last couple of minutes, or last sane moment.

Through Him, our hearts, legs, lungs, and mind can be ever strong once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment