The Merrill's

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Road Trip to Summer

Sometimes, life is really...crazy. I feel like we never take time for just ourselves. Europeans tell us "You're always going! You never take time to enjoy life! Whine and Dine yourselves!" 

It's true. I had a European tell me that once.

My point is, they're right. We don't. Especially when we're young. We're too busy trying to fit social protocols. Like;  when we need to go get married.
or, trying to hurry up and finish our degree. 

Maybe that's just me? Prolly not. 

What happened to living? 

This weekend, I got to do just that and drove out to Vernal to spend the weekend with a very good friend of mine. 

The drive was gorgeous. So peaceful, and scenic. Once I got there Chad didn't waste any time in showing me the sites. :) I turned off my phone, threw on some shorts, and off we went!

We hiked to some petroglyphs. (Indians are a big deal out there I guess) and then, because I didn't know this; we went and saw the DINOSAURS!!

Listen, this isn't your run of the mill, cutesy, let's dig up some plastic fossils in the sand pit (no offense Ogden). This is like, legitimately dinosaurs died here. There's a straight up HUGE park with allegedly a catrillion more dino's just buried in the rocks. Uber cool. 

THEN we hiked to some real life dino foot prints. (side note: YES! I hiked. I'm preforming a comeback, folks!) Let me just say that these footy prints were the real deal. And the lake was beautiful. We did some mild cliff jumping (well, me. Chad was a baby about it) and enjoyed the summer sun. 

Chad also took me on plenty of truck rides to see the sites of Vernal. Man, was there stuff to see! It was so pretty, and I couldn't help but stick my toes out the window, eat my sunflower seeds, and just enjoy the perfect summer moment. 

I can't believe we're almost to the end of it. I feel  like it just zoomed right past me. 

Can't forget the BBQ'n, bubblegum chewin', jam sesh'n, and hammock layin' events that followed. 
Perfect weekend.

In the midst of all of my summer haze, I got to thinkin' about my previously stated thought. If we all just took a little more time for ourselves and took in the world around us-I think we'd be surprised at how lucky we feel, happy we are, and content we become. 

Without even trying, I did a little healing this weekend. I healed my busy soul into a grateful one. I took my need for lists and stress and replaced them with bliss and relaxation. Throw in some good old fashioned fun, and you got yourself  what we call 
happiness folks. 

This is the last week before school. I plan to make the best of it, and then it's time to hit the books! (let's not forget the social agenda I have planned :))

Happy Sunday night everyone! 


4 comments: